Return From The Allure Of The Seas

Let’s start today’s post with a question.

Where does one go to:

• Eat his or her own weight in food?
  • Drift over Haitian beach water, sprawled upon a communal, microorganism-rich floatie mat?
  • Witness slightly pudgy performers in sparkling polyester pants belt out show tunes?
  • Shell out 65 cents a minute for Internet access?

The monstrous Allure of the Seas. I’m happy to report it floats.

If you guessed a cruise ship, then I have a lovely, rubbery, likely-made-in-China, Royal Caribbean key chain for you. In fact, I’ve got two of them. I also have a Royal Caribbean pen, highlighter, wallet, and miniature fanny pack. How did I collect such priceless booty? Apparently, my brain houses a valuable collection of music and movie trivia facts. Too bad those same neurons don’t summon a recently introduced name or the image of what I walked into a room to get.

So, yes, I’m back. Over-stimulated. Overfed. Over-tired. Over-peopled. And over-cheesed.

What? You didn’t know Mr. Rubin was a Mayan warrior?

But cheesy or not, I loves me a cruise. And this time I savored the tacky not just with immediate family, but with extended family as well. And for those of you who’ve traveled with a large group of people, no further words are necessary. But it was all good. Sharing a vacation with my family was a dream come true, and I’ve got a past life of bug-infested apartments, empty cupboards, and endless waitressing and restaurant-cleaning shifts to prove it.

But now I must get back to work. I have line edits to finish. I have book covers to confirm. I have copyright registration to explore. I have blogs to visit. I have e-mail to catch up on. I have Twitter to reconnect with. I have…

Okay, now I just have a headache. But once the pain subsides, I’ll re-infiltrate your blogs. Like mold in your wall, I’m tough to eradicate.

And sorry—I’ve decided not to share my Royal Caribbean key chains after all.

Pointless junk is so hard to find.

A sampling of my Royal Caribbean trivia wins. Nothing says cool like a tiny backpack fanny pack.

108 Responses to “Return From The Allure Of The Seas”

1. Subtlekate

Welcome back :) I’m so glad you had a great overfed time. What else are endless buffets for than to over indulge.
    I want me a cruise now.

2. Stacie Chadwick

Sorry to be so late to comment, it’s been a crazy week! Looks like you had a blast and I think it’s super-cool that Mr. Rubin is a Mayan Warrior. He’d be awesome in a bar fight. Just sayin’.

• Carrie Rubin

Hmmm, I wonder who would prevail in a bar fight? The real Mr. Rubin who has about 9 inches on the Mayan warrior or the Mayan warrior with the spear? I suppose spear trumps height every time.

Sorry your week’s been so crazy. Seems like the whole summer’s been like that. At least around here, and I’m sure for you, too. Enjoy what remains of it.

3. Frederick Anderson

Sorry, Carrie: I’ve come really late to this one! Good to have you back though I admit I’m somewhat surprised at you – here was I thinking you were all in favour of healthy diets and worthy abstinence and what do I find? A cruise! A week of cream cakes and alcohol? For shame, Carrie! And Mayan warriors too? BTB, did you find out what his day job was?

• Carrie Rubin

Hmmm, I suspect his day job is just that. Dressing up as a Mayan warrior, war paint and all, and posing for pictures with sweaty tourists for a measly couple dollar tip. Perhaps at night he’s an investment banker? Or maybe a neurosurgeon.

As for the cruise food–believe it or not, there are many healthy options. I suppose the giant cupcake I ate doesn’t fall into that category, nor the chocolate chip ice cream, but the leafy green salads I made from the buffet line cancelled those items out. At least that’s what I tell myself…

• Carrie Rubin

Thank you, and yes, the headache is better. I have adjusted back to reality with no problem. Thanks for stopping by.

4. 4amWriter

I have never been on a cruise, although I always say I will try one out. Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful time. Glad you’re back in blogging world!

5. Arizona girl

Welcome back! Glad you had a good time! Good luck with the continued work on the book, and enjoy some blogs, emails, etc. Headache cure – gum, water, sleep (in no particular order). :)

• Carrie Rubin

Oh, I do love my sleep. It’s a good cure for many things, that’s for sure. Get enough sleep, eat well, and exercise. Just think of how many fewer medications would be prescribed if everyone followed that simple advice. Okay, I’ll get off my soapbox now, but I suspect as a fitness trainer, you feel the same way.

6. Anastasia

Glad you had fun and didn’t become a statistic! (it freaks me out all the stories of the newly married disappearing on cruises…) :)

• Carrie Rubin

Yes, my husband thinks jokes about me falling over the ship’s railing are hilarious. He never fails to make a crack about it whenever we go on a cruise. But then I remind him that if something happened to me, he’d be stuck with the kids. That stops his laughing quickly.
      ;)

• Carrie Rubin

Thank you. I did return home well, which is no small feat considering the high possibility of contracting Norovirus on a cruise ship. Or in other words, the pukes and the poops.

7. fivereflections

i’ll have be on the lookout for a Mayan Warrior Canoe in the Gulf of Maine

8. writerwendyreid

Glad to have you back and I’m glad you had a good time. I want that fanny pack. What if I send you some pointless junk I own in trade? :-)

• Carrie Rubin

Hmmm, well I never won a pocket protector. Or a hanky. So I guess if you’ve got one of those super cool items, then we might have something to trade…
      ;)

9. sheilapierson

Good for you for having a fab time and then getting back into the swing of things – I’ve been procrastinating far too long!!

• Carrie Rubin

Ahh, yes, I see it’s been a little while since your last post, too. Oh well, breaks are always needed. And it was liberating to get away from the computer for awhile. Plus, I didn’t want to pay that much for Internet access.
      ;)

10. the curtain raiser

Sounds like you discovered your inner warrior on the cruise, just in time to tackle that seriously extensive to-do list. Your trivea skills are also impressive and so very useful – you may never have to buy another pen again. Welcome back :).

• Carrie Rubin

Thanks! And it’s a good thing those trivia games weren’t on history or other important subjects. Then I would have failed miserably.

Hey, good lookin’, what you got cookin’?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 5,302 other followers